Monday, March 29, 2010

Chewy Granola Bars

 gluten-free-sugar-free-chewy-granola-bars
Recipe Title: Chewy Granola Bars
Recipe Link:http://www.simplysugarandglutenfree.com/help-kids-cancer-granola-bar/
Status: Approved
Rating: 9/10

Jen's Notes: I brought these granola bars with me to work today so that I could have a healthy snack instead of raiding the vending machine. There were a few substitutions made:
  • Subbed sorghum flour for teff flour
  • Subbed dried cranberries for mission figs
  • Subbed cashews for walnuts

I tried two different grocery stores, but I was unable to find any teff flour and Whole Foods was closed. So, I decided to sub sorghum flour instead. I have no idea if this was the best substitute I could have used, since I am still pretty new to this gluten-free baking stuff. However, it did work and the outcome was very tasty. I really wanted to make this recipe verbatim, but fate was against me yesterday. First, I couldn't find teff flour and then the store was out of dried figs. I happened to have cashews on hand, so I used those instead of spending money on walnuts.

This recipe seems like one of those wonderfully versatile recipes. I plan to try Whole Foods this weekend to get some teff flour and make these again - I suspect that will make a significant difference in the flavor, and probably bump it up into the 10/10 category. But I think it's also nice to know that you can sub another kind of flour if you need to, since sometimes these whacky GF flours can be hard to find.

This is a great recipe to be creative with! Use whatever combination of dried fruits and nuts that you like - change it up from time to time so it doesn't get boring. I personally love dried cranberries and cashews, so that was a great combo for me. Preparation was pretty easy, but I skipped the food processor step and I don't think it made much or any of a difference.

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Start to Finish: 30 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment