Monday, March 29, 2010

Broiled Grapefruit


Recipe Title: Broiled Grapefruit
Recipe Link: http://www.simplysugarandglutenfree.com/broiled-grapefruit-recipe/

Status: Approved
Rating: 7/10

Jen's Notes: First off, I want to preface this review by saying that I don't generally like grapefruit. My mother used to eat a lot whenever she'd go on a diet, and I could never understand how she could eat it. It was just too bitter for me.

Recently, I saw an episode of Good Eats where Alton Brown demonstrated how sprinkling some salt over a grapefruit half and then broiling it would take that edge off. And then I came across Amy's recipe. So I decided to give it a whirl, in the spirit of eating in a more balanced way.

As a person who hates grapefruit, I have to say that this wasn't bad. I wouldn't say that it was awesomely terrific or that I will lay awake nights craving this. But I will probably eat it for breakfast again tomorrow. Most of the bitter flavor that I can't stand was neutralized, but it wasn't sweet. It was very easy to make - the recipe does a pretty good job of detailing what you need to do. And it was quick. Oh how I love quick, especially first thing in the morning.

I did sprinkle some kosher salt on top before I added the agave, thanks to the aforementioned episode of Good Eats. I also let it broil for about 10 minutes (instead of the three called for in the recipe), but I also didn't give the oven much time to heat up. I want to try making this ahead of time, and then nuking it in the microwave. Even though this was pretty quick to make, I am eternally running late so if I can have breakfast and save myself ten minutes in the morning, that would be a good thing.

Edit: Eat this the same day that you make it. I never got around to eating yesterday's grapefruit, so I thought I'd save it for today. Bad idea. It's in the trash now.

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes
Start to Finish: 15 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment