Thursday, March 11, 2010

Gluten-Free Multi-Grain Sandwich Bread



Recipe Title: Gluten-Free Multi-Grain Sandwich Bread
Status: Approved!
Rating: 7/10

Jen's Notes: I have a bread machine now, and it was free, courtesy of a friend at work (apprently, she doesn't use it)! This attempt at bread went much better than the last one. I did decide to skip the sesame seed topping, but I don't think that effects the flavor much.

The only snag I hit this time was that, when I took the bread out, the top was sunk in a bit and there was this weird layered look to the loaf. I'm not sure what caused this, but I think the yeast might not have proofed quite right. It didn't get all that foamy but I used it anyway. I'm fairly sure that explains the sunken top, but I don't know about the layered look.

In spite of layered weirdness, the taste is still yummy. It tastes basically just like plain white bread that you buy from the store, minus all that icky gluten. The only reason it lost a point in the rating is that it didn't make much bread. When I sliced it up, I only ended up with about six slices (admittedly, I slice bread crooked as hell). This could be due to the possible yeast issues, so I'll change the rating if I get a bigger loaf the next time.


Edit: After making this recipe a couple of times now, I've decided to drop the rating down a bit. While it does taste good, it doesn't work as sandwich bread very well. After about a day, the texture becomes too crumbly and falls apart easily. It would make a good bread to serve on the side of a meal, or a snack perhaps. But since this was called a "sandwich bread" specifically, I'm dropping the rating.


Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Start to Finish: 2 hours, 30 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment