Thursday, March 11, 2010

Ham, Broccoli, Cheese and Onion Quiche (with a Gluten-Free Crust)

Recipe Title: Ham, Broccoli, Cheese and Onion Quiche (with a Gluten-Free Crust)
Status: Tested and heartily approved
Rating: 10/10

Jen's Notes: The hubby really loved this one (quote: "This is the first thing you've made that I actually liked since we started this whole gluten-free thing"). Seriously, I was trying to ask him how it was but he was too busy shovelling it into his mouth to answer. And even better, it was really easy.

First, the pie crust. I picked up the Pamela's mix at the store, and made it exactly according to the recipe (with the exception of using a food processor to mix the dough). Be sure to note that this recipe makes TWO pie crusts, so if you only need one, just half the recipe. The dough is much more likely to rip than a regular pie crust dough, but don't stress too much if it rips. It's a little easier to repair rips and tears with this crust than normal crust. I was a little concerned about making a from-scratch pie crust on a weeknight, but it only took about 15 minutes, including rolling out the dough.

The filling was pretty low-stress too. I decided to add some broccoli to the recipe, so I just sauteed about 1 cup or so of chopped frozen broccoli at the same time that I sauteed the onions. Then just dump all the ingredients into a bowl, mix and pour into the pie crust. I should also note that instead of using eggs as called for in the main recipe, I used a 1/2 cup of Egg Beaters. If you have egg allergies, you can probably use the Ener-G egg replacement (though I don't know how that works).

One more note - if you've never bought cubed ham before and don't know where to find it, check the regular meat section of your supermarket, in with the ground beef, chicken, etc. NOT with the deli meat. The variety I bought was 95% lean, so this was still a pretty healthy meal.

The cook time for my quiche ended up being about 10 minutes longer than the quiche recipe said. I checked it at 40 minutes and the top wasn't browned yet so I kicked up the temp to 375 and cooked for another ten minutes. Again, this may very well be my oven's fault (too cheap to go buy an oven thermometer to find out).

Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Start to Finish: 1 hour, 20 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment